Monday, June 16, 2008

My ordeal with names

I have a distinction. Everyone i meet and subsequently impress (i don't know with what?) award me a name albiet a very weird one.It so happens that i move on but these guys somehow can't and call me by the same name their whole life.So, here i am being called by a thousand names and by thousand different people and i have a difficult time remembering them all . Being a gentleman that i am, i wanted to respond to all those names whenever called .

My ordeal with names started when i was a kid and had absolutely no idea that people around me were conspiring by giving me names more than alphabets in chinese script. My mom named me "Mithoo" ( you got it right , all gals used to tease me by "aaja aaja mere mithoo miyaan ,tujhe pinjare mein band karloon" , but i don't know where they all disappeared when i was old enough to appreciate them,they sure got me angry then) .

My dad apparently wanted a girl and dissapointed at getting a raw deal named me "Bobby", i don't if it was revenge of sorts or his infatuation with Dimple kapadia or he simply ran out of names( and decided to stick with the one he had thought for his would be daughter). To add to injuries my mom used to dress me like a girl, they say i looked really hot( to the dissapointment of many kiddos who used to lick their milk bottles hungarily after looking at me , i grew upto be a man)

It was just a beginning, they also gave me a good name as "Sudhanshu Shekhar" . Not that i don't like that name but it had a few technical difficulties.

  • I didnot know how to pronounce and spell my name correctly till i was in 4th and i had to go back home with a red bum every alternate day.
  • Most of the guys i have met take special pleasure in voilating the sanctity of my name "Sudarshan" is the closest i get most of the times.
  • People, who know that such a name does exist , always confuse me to be a Bengali or oriya( my speaking bengali does help them in their conclusion), ignoring my very proud Bihari roots.
  • It takes awfully lot of time to spell it phonetically over phone if you are talking to some call center agents or the bank( i remember once it took me all the way from Royapettah to Thuraipakkam to give my name to ICICI).
  • In my school they miscontrued "Sudhanshu" in every possible way , the one closest to my heart is shit-on-your-shoe.

This was just the beginning. I had a teacher who in a moment of ecstacy named me "Machchar" (Mosquito) which i later realized was due to my squeaky voice and ultra thin frame.This name stuck with me like no other though it was it 2nd satandard i still have frfiends who call me that though i have inproved fairly on my thin frame now.

My Father is a Sanskrit Professor so i was naturally bound to be good at it (though its a terror to all high school kids i know). So came the name "Kalidas" . Though the origin of this name had nothing to with my father . The Teacher who named me thus , thought that i closely reminded him of someone who could cut the same branch he was sitiing onCry.

During the last days of my school life, i still had the baby face i was endowed with,while my friends started looking like uncles and aunties , so they named me " Butroo" ( a kid in bihari) , this was the name i hated the most but it was the named i was called the most with. Frown

P.S Yesterday a friend told me that i write long blogs so ill cut this short here and write the Part II starting from the college days , do commemt .

No comments: